Needless to say, i’m a huge Eva and Franco fan. I try to stay neutral seeing as i TA a class and people should have the opportunity to develop their own feelings and opinions about E&F. The most common opinion is “They are criminals”. Over the summer, Glenn, Mariha, Vanessa, and I went to a show in LA where Eva and Franco were being featured.
Isn’t my post so original? lol But I still want to wish everyone a FUN and SAFE Halloween! One of the most dangerous times of the year, so it’s best to be careful! I will be at home stuck writing a paper 😛 How fun 😉 One trend I noticed in my part of the projects was that a lot of you still don’t know how to say Eva and Franco Mattes, I would laugh every time I heaerd different variations. It’s pronounced ee-v-ah and f-r-ay-n-c-o m-ah-t-I/eh-z. In the phonetic alphabet (iva ænd frenko matI/Ez). Anyways, I can’t believe how many 100’s I gave on this project, I was blown away and proud at the same time (: Great work you guys, I am glad a lot of you understood the reading this time and some of you got a lot out of what their true message is. Without further ado, my favorite projects of the week were:
Sorry guys! It’s only Tuesday and I am already doen with this week! I some awesome vlogs this week, I feel that a lot of you are now seeing a different side of Eva and Franco. At first you “hated” them and now you see their reasoning behind a few of their works and it’s starting to make sense to a lot of you. I went through the same exact thing you guys! At first it was just so hard for me to grasp their ideas for reasons such as: never seeing anything like this before and trying to understand their reason for “sabotaging”. Of course now I know there really was no malicious intent in any of their works even though it might seem to come off that way. It’s quite interesting to see a new medium of art that is not so typical like many of us are used to. This is what a lot of you had mentioned in your vlogs, and I absolutely agree with you guys. Now onto my “FAVORITES” of the week (:
- “Art should not be restricted to a certain amount of people, it should be show to the entire world.”
- “To someone else in the “game” who understands the effort and the time it took to build that character would value the time and ability it took to make this character come to life.”
- “Their art is not conventional, it’s very out there, and they just want people to understand that art is not confined to an easel or a studio, it is anything in reality, they want to just make you think about what is going on in the world, and to understand that anything is art you just have to see it that way… if you can express an opinion or and idea through it visually then it is art.”
- “If someone who has done it before, who cares we’ll do it again, if someone says it has been done many times before, their response is who cares we’re going to do it our way, We know who we are, we will not be influenced by others against us… won’t be restricted y anyone else.”
- “That’s how I wish to see myself, but that is not myself.”
- “A projection of our identity, idealistically not facially”
- “The past shows us our future”
- “Sometimes we must fool people to get a sincere reaction.”
No. The title is not the latest prim count (i wish) or a reference to a wikipedia article? It is the number of points i gave out this week.
Almost all the projects i got, were “A” work. I was very proud.
Pretty much everyone understood what the wacky Eva and Franco were trying to tell us.
A problem that is still happening though, is that so many people still can’t say the name Mattes. On the eyewtka page I even put a way to pronounce it.
So just think Mott-ez
Anyways, i leave you with this pic i found
Here are just a few of the awesome vlogs i graded this week
Let me just start out by saying, I f**king looove the Mattes. I really just… I love them. I think they’re genius, they set off so many light bulbs for me. But this isn’t about me, it’s about YOU. Kinda maybe.
So first off, this is Jacqlyn. I chose to show her video because 1) she put so much thought into her responses; she even RESEARCHED. She went to http://www.0100101110101101.org to get a better understanding of their projects because let’s face it, they’re whack. And it didn’t hurt that she liked them Just. Like. Me. 🙂
I’m open to opposing views. So Magana brothers, FINE. You make… points. I’d say “look a little deeper and into the not so literal meanings of the Mattes’ work” but you backed up your opinions with reason. So kudos. (And I don’t quite care for the Starbucks question either…)
And finally… Sydney! Great analysis (hehe, she likes them) and I know it was hard to keep within the time limit and really say what was on your mind, so you’re okay in my book. Bonus for obeying the time limit but still giving it some deep thought.